And thus, we begin! Before anything, let me present the true name of the game: Life’s Impetus. It’s a tad more abstract than “Fountain of Life” (the WIP title), but it represents the theme of my game much better (you’ll have to finish the game to truly understand it, though :p), and manages to imply a certain sense of action. Also, it doesn’t have the religious connotation “Fountain of Life” has.
But anyways, what I really want to talk about is this big ugly thing here: the roadmap for my game. Basically, it’s a map of the components I’ll have to work on to have a complete game. Some things are blacked out (and the Story section is completely minimized) to prevent spoilers, but here’s a full version for those of you who like spoilers. So, let’s take a closer look at the important sections:
- Controls: Basically, every thing the player can do. Controls need to feel good, so this is important to get right.
- Camera: I need to make sure the player can see the game well if they’re going to play the game well.
- Player Animations: Animations for all the actions the player does, and cutscene specific actions.
- BG Art: The heart of it is the shopping district (I still call it town for some reason), where the majority of the game takes place. There’s also a couple of other important areas.
- BG People: Life’s Impetus is a game about picking up the souls of the dead, so you need people that die. A good part of them won’t die though, so I’ll need to work on a lot of people to wander around in the background.
- Main Battle System: The heart of the gameplay. This is one part that’ll need to work really well.
- Misc: Other important features that don’t fit anywhere else.
- Story: All the cutscenes I’ll need to work on.
- Levels: As you can see, my game won’t be that long.
There’s probably lots of things I missed (now that I think about it… where’s audio?), but that’s the gist of it. My first task will be to work on player controls, and after that comes the main battle system. I’ll probably be writing a devblog about the controls in a couple of a weeks, but if you want to make sure you don’t miss it, why not follow the Life’s Impetus twitter?
Hope to see you again!
Are you the planning type? Or do you move on instinct? (as you can clearly see, I’m the former)